Bro. Michael Jacob
Revelation , the last book in the scripture, was written by John the apostle or some other John?
The last book in the scripture is caller the Revelation or Apocalypse. This contains matters revealed to its author by Jesus Christ. Its authorship is by the book itself ascribed to “John” (Rev 1 : 1,4,9, 22 : 8) he was the ‘servant’ of Jesus Christ (Rev 1:1) , one “who witness of the word of God and of the testimony of Jesus Christ” (Rev 1:2 Revised) The almost universal testimony of the early church identified this John as the apostle, the son of Zebedee, the author of the ‘John’s Gospel’. We too think it must be ‘John the apostle’. We want to show to you some correspondence between the Gospel & epistles according to John and the Apocalypse.
- The application of the title ‘The Word of God’ is given to our Lord (Rev 19 : 13) in the Apocalypse. This name ‘The Word’ is found in the New Testament only in John’s writings. (John 1:1; 1 John 1:1).
- The idea of the Lord Jesus as a ‘Lamb’ occurs in the Revelation twenty-eight times , and only elsewhere in John 1:29,30 .
- The use of the term ‘to conquer’ occurs repeatedly in Revelation (Rev chapters 2 & 3 also in Rev 12:11, 15:2, 17:14, 21:7) the same term appears in the epistle 1 John 2:13,14, 4:4, 5:4,5 .
- The word ‘true’ is found thirteen times in the Gospel and epistles of John . This word is found ten times in the Revelation (Rev 3:7, 19:11)
- The statement in Rev 1:7, “and they which pierced him” is found only in John 19 : 37
- A prominent thought of John in the Gospel rendered ‘witness’ ‘testimony’ ‘record’ and the declaration is prominent also in Revelation (Rev 1:2,9 ; 6:9 ; 12:11,17 ; 19:10 ; 20:4 ; 22:18,20)
These are some correspondences between Revelation and the Gospel & epistle of John. So we believe the aged apostle is the author of the Apocalypse.